Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Cuddy Sandwich - a Halifax delicacy!

Home - The Devin Cuddy Band

The highly anticipated return of the Devin Cuddy Band to the east coast this past week was worth the anxiety and the wait. You know you are real excited for an event when you start scheduling your other activities around it - just to make sure that nothing can stand in your way.

And that was me with this particular show. I knew that a CD release was coming and hence a tour - I really wanted to be part of the release party that was held at the Horseshoe in Toronto. Logistically that was not plausible so I had to patiently wait my turn. I thought I might wait and buy my CD at the show but I wasn't that patient :) I was hearing snippets of songs and just couldn't stand it any longer. Great investment however you come to possess it though.

My enthusiasm spilled into my social circle and I began to form a little group of people who would join me to experience the talent that is the Devin Cuddy Band. One friends' childcare fell through at the last minute so she brought her kids to the bar so she could meet the band and try and get some sense of why I raved about this music so much. I think she gets it :) The others - if they didn't come they supported the band anyways. 

The anticipation for the evening started very early. I couldn't shake this feeling that this night was gonna be like no other. There wasn't a crowd to fight through but I walked to the Carleton Music Bar like I was late and my feet were on fire. I had to get the perfect seat. In fact I tried out 3 different tables before I finally settled on the one next to the stage with a 180 view of everything going on - I was in for a long wait and watching the comings and goings in a bar is a bit like reality TV. 

The Carleton Music Bar is one of my very favourite venues in this city. It is small enough to be personal and despite being a bar - the stipulation is that when an artist is on stage, they are to be respected and talking is whispered at best. It's a historic place that has hosted many fine musicians and is ranked as the oldest still standing building in Halifax (aside from a few really well built churches). Built in 1760 this former private home, then hotel and now apartments and bar is 254 years old!  

We were deep in conversation about this and that when I looked up to see an unassuming young man carrying equipment. Walking with a purpose, locks of wavy hair poking out from beneath the ball cap - I knew it had to be Devin, himself. Later my table mates told me that they didn't know who's face lite up brighter when they walked into the bar - mine, Devin's or Zach's but it was like a reunion of old friends. Yeah I get it - I am really old lol! 

Honestly, that is what it feels like to see these talented young men. Like an old friend that you admire and respect. There is so much talent on that little stage the four young men fill up with their gear! I did allow them to unburden themselves of the equipment before I enveloped Devin and Zach in a hug. Long-awaited and much-anticipated reunion for sure. When your friends from away come to visit, there is an excitement and pride that swells you heart and has you beaming.

One of the last items to be brought into the bar was deposited on my table. It was a poster that ironically Devin had in his possession for longer than I did. In the words of one Jim Cuddy "It was hanging around the house forever". "IT" was a poster in a cardboard tube.

Debra and her prized possession at the Cameron
House in Toronto :)
The Poster was the limited edition Molson Amphitheatre poster. My best Blue Rodeo buddy/friend Debra had bought it for me to cheer me up after a very stressful time in my life. I told Devin about it when I saw him opening for Blue Rodeo in January 2014. I expressed the desire of having his band and Blue Rodeo sign it for me. He couldn't get it done that night and the two bands were parting to do some solo shows, but he said that if I could get it to Toronto - he would get it signed. A lot of people came together to help make it happen, including the transportation to Toronto, then to the Cameron House and into Devins' hands including my son who was instrumental in making it happen. When it started coming together, I told Debra of the plan that was brewing. She got her poster to my boy and these paper treasures got to the Cameron House safely. 


Me and my prize! At the Carleton Music
Bar and Grill in Halifax. :)
We figured that the show in Ontario that had Devin Cuddy Band opening for Blue Rodeo and that both Debra and I had intended on being at would be a good time line to get them back. But poor Devin had had surgery on his wrist the day before the show and was somewhat affected by the medication lol. Not getting the posters was fine for I will never forget the puppy dog eyes when he said to me, "Liz I effed up." You just can't make memories like that up. God bless his heart for worrying about me. My uppermost concern was the wrist he had broken playing hockey. He looked so lost on the stage that night not sitting at his NoNo piano. 

After all that and the journey that poster travelled, it was all the better when Devin himself put in my hands on this night. I immediately pulled it out and had some pics taken as the boys were behind me setting up their equipment. Debra picked hers up at the Cameron House the night before - and she was beaming. It was so worth it and we have an amazing story to tell of it's journey. Icing on the cake...they are personally addressed!  


The equipment got set up, Zach assembled his drums. After a 20 hour drive, there were no roadies to help tune the guitars and lug those amps. Once the sound-check was completed - man they can set that gear up fast - we had a chance for a chat. A very dear friend was very excited to meet and hear the band that I had ranted and raved about for so long. When her childcare fell through she came with the rugrats and the most she heard was the sound check. But even if just for that to hear the magical fingers of Nichol Robertson on the electric guitar. What a treat, he is so talented. Not a real song in its entirety but the whole band got a chance to prove to her that they were more than just pretty and friendly faces. For the record, meeting Devin was the highlight the young girls life - after a Disney Cruise. We love you Devin but you aren't a princess :) 

Work done, it was time for the boys to have some space and time to eat and relax a bit before the show. In their absence Dave Borins took the stage. Not even 10 years in the business, Dave is a professional and consummate guitarist and songwriter with a comedic flair. I would strongly suggest that you give him a listen if he is in your neighbourhood or at least check out Dave Borins Sound Cloud account. Normally with a band behind him, we enjoyed the solo acoustic version of his music. I was impressed. It was a bit like two shows for the price of one, for in between tunes (and tuning) we got some comedy relief along with the back story behind the man and song. Hailing from Toronto, it's not hard to find him playing the music scene there.


Keep It To Yourself - Devin Cuddy Band

With that, Devin Cuddy, Nichol Robertson, Devon Richardson and Zach Sutton were back in the house and ready to make some beautiful noise. They started the first set off right with "She Ain't Crying Over Me". Never a set list, the bandmates decide on the fly what song is going to be played. A couple of notes or chords on the piano from Devin and everyone knows what to play. That's talent in itself. Making it look easy as Devon Richardson on the bass does is genius. His long and slender fingers pluck at those heavy strings like they are flimsy thread. I'm reminded of walking ones fingers along the desk at school when we were bored. Stop for a moment and try that again right now. Got it? Okay now go backwards? Now try a vertical climb? Suddenly my fake legs are disabled and I can appreciate even more how hard it is to play bass and how effortless Devon makes it look. Vocally he has perfect harmony with Devin. It's a melodic treat for the ears. 

Nichol Robertson is someone who I think is talented beyond his years. Nichol lets his fingers sing on the electric and acoustic guitars. And he does it with style and flair. You get a sense of the passion for the craft that he has with an underlying intensity that demands perfection from himself. He touches that guitar and I know I'm in for a real treat. I am grateful that there is often at least a little Nichol showcase in each song. As someone who has tried and failed to play the guitar - I appreciate the talent and ability that Nichol so easily demonstrates. Love to watch him play!


Zach Sutton - the very name makes me smile. He has the kindest heart and sweetest soul in someone so young. He is the drummer for the group and grabbed my attention from the first moment I saw him perform on stage. I had never seen anything like him. His style was like no other...except for maybe Animal from the Muppets show. For that was the image that came to my mind as I watched Zach that first time. Unlike Animal, Zach did not his head on the snare too many times but rather it is the expressive intensity that kindles the similarity notion. Watching Zach play is like watching a show on TV, you can't look away because you will miss one of those endearing expressions on his face. Either that or he is eating one of his drumsticks lol. I think I saw tooth marks in the drum stick he gave me :) 

But just for fun - if Zach is Animal then Devin is Fozzie Bear. Cute and cuddly, his hair flops around and over his eyes like Fozzie ears. But the similarities stop there for Devin is tall and lanky. His eyes tell you that he has deep passion for music, (well when you can see his eyes lol) and there is a wisdom that reaches far beyond his tender years. He's all class and talent - he doesn't have the over-inflated ego and abrasiveness as some of the younger musicians I have come across. I have been following Devin and his career for several years now and he never ceases to amaze me. His long nimble fingers are a pianists dream and he uses them well. It would have been easier to follow in the footsteps of the path his dad had already carved out and become a second generation Blue Rodeo. But it seems that from a very young age, Devin had a preferred style already in his mind. Mainstream pop isn't his style.

Many people have asked me, "What kind of music does he play?" I say that you can't pigeon-hole him. There is a sense of Louisiana style blues, some pop, some comedy, some country, some folk, some gospel blues. Now the last bit was mostly prevalent in this latest album and I suspect that his fine producer Greg Keelor had some influence there. That man can belt out a gospel song that'll have the atheists kneeling. Okay maybe that is an exaggeration - but not much :) 

One of the very first songs I heard by the Devin Cuddy Band was My Son's a Queer. I thought it was fabulous and brave to write about a sensitive subject like that and put a positive beat on it. It's a catchy tune and a fun sing-a-long. Just recently I came across someone who complained about the offensive nature of the song. My jaw dropped. Now I don't claim to know what goes through the artist mind when they pen a particular song and although knowing a back story adds more meaning to the song for the listener, I don't generally analyse the words of a song. My feeling when I hear a song is my feeling. The song is often open to personal interpretation. I don't believe that the tender soul behind Devin Cuddy would have a song with hate towards anyone or anything in his heart to come out on staff paper.

I'm not gonna say that I go to the Carleton a lot, but there are some there who know my name. I'm just an enthusiastic fan and enjoy sharing my love of music. I can't remember how the conversation came about, or even exactly what point of the night but an employee did make a point of coming to our table to share a bit of news. Jim Cuddy was in town and may be stopping by. Well not even the Jim Cuddy could tear me away from the Devin Cuddy Band...but when they went on break between sets I was on high eagle eye alert. 

I needed a break too! And it was on my way back that I very nearly bumped into Jim. I took a quick step back and started pointing in his direction to alert my official photographer for the night to grab the camera and come hither. I was waiting right for him to finish with the group he was chatting with and then tapped his right shoulder to ask for a picture. Jim is so gracious to his fans! The picture was taken and I introduced myself and thanked him. He laughed when he said that Devin had the posters for months hanging around the house. I thanked him again on behalf of Debra and myself for everything that he and Devin had done for us and said that I would see him again in Truro. 

I almost let him go, and then saw Devin walking towards. I hope not too enthusiastically, but I reached for Devin and begged for a photograph with my two favourite musicians. And there I was, in the middle of both Jim and Devin Cuddy. A Cuddy sandwich it was called on the internet. My photographer did indeed get the million dollar shot! 

I have been asked, if Jim stayed for the second set and I have no idea. I know that I invited him to sit with us :) and he didn't. The thing is when the second set started it was all about Devin and his band. That's what I was there for. I hope that Jim was able to stay and listen to his boy, for being a typical parent he is proud of his son. 

Zach had asked me what I wanted to hear - Sidewalk in the South from Volume One has always been a fave. Listening to Zach count it down has always made me smile. Zach didn't know if it was set to be played but he said he'd suggest it if he could. And he came through for me...one, two, three, four! Love it. The strong piano, the beat of the bass strumming, the crash of the cymbals and the guitar solo about halfway through it's magic to my ears. Add the vocals with a hint of a drawl and and the harmonizing just bring the whole thing up to another level. 

After the show I had some more signage for the boys to do. The Kitchen Knife CD and the Carleton advertising poster. There is a decor theme going on here at home. Pink Panther meets musicians lol!

"It was a magical night in Halifax. The stars aligned and the Cuddy's were in town. I am over the moon with excitement. At the Carleton to see Devin Cuddy Band and Jim showed up." (facebook post)

From the bottom of my heart I wish to thank all the members of the Devin Cuddy Band for your music and for your friendship. You guys are the best! I would also like to thank everybody who was involved in getting the poster signed and especially the members of Blue Rodeo who made every part of this night what it was. For it is all the moments in my life that Blue Rodeo were musically a part of that pulled me through and kept me going or smile just a little broader for the past 25+ years. The Devin Cuddy Band is one of many bands I learned to appreciate through my Blue Love.

 (pictures and words are the property of the photographer/author/camera owner and may not be reproduced without permission)
Zach Sutton builds his drums!

The set and the no no piano

Dave Borins warms up the crowds with songs and laughter

And we wait with baited breath

Devin Cuddy

Nichol Robertson, Zach Sutton, Devin Richardson

Zach Sutton

Nichol Robertson, Zach Sutton, Devin Richardson

Me and Jim Cuddy in Halifax

"Cuddy Sandwich" - Devin, Me, Jim

Nichol Robertson, Devon Richardson

Devin Cuddy 

I feel it but I don't see it so clearly
Re-do Zach?
Carleton House poster

The Travelling Poster :)
THE POSTER! 


Credit
Dave Borins
https://soundcloud.com/dave-borins
Carleton Music Bar and Grill
http://www.thecarleton.ca/
Devin Cuddy, Zach Sutton, Nichol Robertson, Devon Richardson
http://www.devincuddy.com/
Blue Rodeo - Jim Cuddy and Greg Keelor
http://www.bluerodeo.com/

First Set list*: 
She Ain't Crying Over Me - DCB Volume One
Johnny from the Mountain - DCB Volume One
Forty Four - DCB Kitchen Knife
How the Other Half Lives - Jack Marks release Blues Like These
I Got a Girl - DCB Volume One
Jambalaya (On the Bayou) - Hank Williams release
Home - DCB Kitchen Knife
Take Me Back To Tulsa - Bob Wills release
Prelude - DCB Volume One
Maybe I'm Doing It Wrong - Randy Newman release
East Coast Bred - DCB Volume One
My Sons a Queer - DCB Volume One
Dancing - DCB Volume One

Second Set list*:
Town - DCB Kitchen Knife
Afghanistan - DCB Volume One
Jelly Roll
Chug-a-Lug - Roger Miller release
Maggies Hardware Store - Jack Marks release Blues Like These
Kitchen Knife - DCB Kitchen Knife
Ode to a Gypsy's Daughter - DCB Kitchen Knife
Town - DCB Kitchen Knife
When the Ship Hit the Sand - Jimmy Dickens release
Sidewalk in the South - DCB Volume One
Keep It To Yourself - Sonny Boy Williamson release
Lie To Me - DCB Kitchen Knife
Walking - DCB Volume One
Catfish Blues - DCB Kitchen Knife

*Not an official set list and subject to errors

No comments:

Post a Comment